Sunday, July 11, 2010

planning

A friend asked me last night if I had a plan - I think they were implying before I had kids.  But it was also an open ended question.

It's true, I did have some plans.  And I still do.  But life doesn't always go as planned.  Sometimes life kicks you on your ass.  Sometimes life goes better than planned.

For me, I think it's more of how you respond to the punches, respond to life and are still able to stay sane and enjoy yourself (and the world) that matters.   Being able to give back despite whatever may happen.

This must sound so cynical.  It must also sound ungrateful - although it's not.  I've been incredibly fortunate.  But one of the things I've learned over the years, life just doesn't always work as one wants it to.  It just doesn't.  And at some point, most people have to face that.  Parenthood is not a recipe.  Even being a person isn't a recipe - you can be a great person and do everything "right" and still struggle. 

1 comment:

Freckle Face Girl said...

The idea of "planning" makes me laugh, but I still do it. I am always planning & coming up with ideas, but things change all the time. It is one of the things in life that keeps it interesting, right?