Friday, August 3, 2012

The Universe

Adler Planetarium clock
On our vacation, we visited the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.  It was an amazing experience.  I visited in grade school, but I didn't remember much from the experience. At the museum, my kids experienced jumping in weightlessness, and creating a crater.

I recommend the program "Welcome to the Universe".  It started out talking about our earth, and all the satellites that orbit our planet (showing their orbits).  It went from our solar system to the galaxy (the milky way), then to other galaxies and black holes.

The size of our universe is simply awe-inspiring.  At one point in the film, it went past hundreds (if not thousands) of galaxies, each as big as the milky way (or bigger).  All those galaxies, stars, planets - it is incomprehensible to me.  Not that it is forever incomprehensible to humans, just to me personally.  It's no wonder there are so many science fiction stories - it does provoke the imagination.

No comments: