Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rises

I saw The Dark Knight Rises this past weekend.  I'm a fan of Nolan's work, I enjoyed the first two Batman movies in the series.  I also enjoyed Inception

But I found that it was difficult for me to enjoy the movie.  For most of the movie, I was acutely aware that I was watching a film marred by tragedy.  It was difficult to ignore the violence as fantasy. 

I admit, it was all me - all in my head.  There was no reason to feel any more unsafe than when I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2 (a great movie, btw). 

So aside from not being able to fully enjoy the film, it was good. I liked it.  I thought it was a good finale to the series.  Some of the twists in the plot I didn't see coming.  I agree Anne Hathaway did a good job as Catwoman, even if she was a MPDG (Manic Pixie Dream Girl) of sorts. 

I don't see why I should change my behavior because of a lone insane act.  I'm glad that other people haven't changed their behavior, the theater was full.  Most of my friends who were going to see the film have seen it.  Still, I can't help thinking about the culture of violence, and our culture of mental illness.

1 comment:

postmormongirl said...

The Aurora tragedy has pretty much ruined Batman for me as well (I wasn't a huge fan to begin with but my husband was and he seems to feel the same way as well). I think it's normal to tie the two of these together, as this was such a searingly awful tragedy.