Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dresses

Recently I've had the opportunity to help make dresses for little girls in the Dominican Republic. The school my children attend has a group of students that will be going there for a service project. I wish more secular organizations would sponsor and fund such trips.

I wasn't sure if I would have time at first, but was able to.  Next year I will start sewing earlier, to try and get more done (this will probably happen again next year, for any volunteers...).  I like it because 1 - it's something I can do that's pretty easy for me and 2 - I know the dresses are going to a good cause. 

I've spoken a little bit about working for the costume shop in college here.  Making these dresses was like riding a bike, you never really forget how.  Each took me about two hours total, with interruptions from my kindergartners.

Figuring out more ways to volunteer and serve are some of my goals for the next few years.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Freckle Face Girl said...

What a wonderful service project! I have been to Haiti before (the other 1/2 of the island. I know they will be put to good use.