Tuesday, January 18, 2011

cancer sucks

A few years back I heard an ad on the radio for this study by the American Cancer Society.

If you haven't been diagnosed with cancer, there's only so much you can do.  It sucks being helpless, watching someone else in pain.

It was nice to know there was something I could do.  There is more information on the website.  A person just needs to be between 30 and 64, and never been diagnosed with cancer.  There are a handful of other requirements, non-invasive and not time-consuming.  To enroll, you have to go to one of the enrollment locations, give a blood donation and have measurements taken.  You also make a long term commitment to answer follow up questionnaire every so often.

I don't think I have to go into the people I know who are currently fighting cancer, or loved ones' who have lost the battle to this horrific disease.  Most people I've talked to have lost someone significant to cancer, know someone who has lost someone close to cancer or have fought it themselves.

The more information that scientists have about the causes of cancer, the more data points - the closer they will get to a cure.  It's unfortunate that we are a decade into the twenty first century and there is only so much we know.  I hope that the information that I give (and others give) will change that.  I am glad there is something positive that I can do; that can be done in the face of this disease.

1 comment:

Freckle Face Girl said...

That is a good thing to undertake & I should consider it... Thanks.