Monday, September 7, 2009

Planner

I am, as I have mentioned before, an over-planner. One of the good things in my relationship with my husband is that he reminds me to take it easy, to not over-commit myself. It's easy to forget that sometimes.

Our week last week was busy. It was fun (seeing chanson and her family) and going to a reception for my father in law. Which, by the way, was in the middle of the afternoon during the work week after school had already started. (It was simply really inconvenient to find a babysitter). The reception was nice, although formal and I'm glad I went. It was not the place for four year olds (as it was two hours of talking, with no breaks).

And things at my work have picked up again (it goes in cycles). Oh, and last week was the first week of pre-school.

So, this weekend, we haven't done much of anything. This is also something I wouldn't have done some years ago. But I've been baking (making zucchini bread). Today I actually cleaned out the garage! Our garage was still in good shape since last year, but I'm really hoping to park my car in the garage during the winter.

In the past, I wouldn't have been paying attention to the changing of the seasons. Either I would have focused on other things, or I would be in denial.

But summer is waning fast; I can tell when it's still dark when I leave for work in the morning.

I think the space of having unplanned time is important. I would almost say that I do best when my time is an equal amount planned and unplanned. And that's a bit frightening, because I would have never acknowledged that before.

It's good for me to be able to breathe, to pay attention to what's going on around me. To find time to be present, not to just run around without time to smell the proverbial roses.

No comments: