Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dust

To get an idea of the day/week I've been having, please see exhibit A.

Our home was built in the mid-40s, and the drain tiles around the house stopped working. In other words, we've had a small trickle of water through the basement (with some notable flooding when the sump pump went out. Yeah - just because people SAY that they don't think the sump pump actually pumps anything, do NOT believe them. Oh, and in my next life, I'm going to be a plumber).

Exhibit A



Yes, those are jackhammers. Drilling in our concrete foundation. They drilled approx. three or four inches around the perimeter of our house.

Just as a tip, if you should ever need to replace the clay tiles around your home, it is very dusty. You may think that you will be okay, but please take this as your warning.

Logically, I knew that if they were drilling (with jackhammers) around the foundation of my home, it might create a lot of dust. But I didn't realize that's what would happen until I walked downstairs last night and saw the fine layer of dust covering everything. (Did I mention that everyone in my family suffers from allergies??)

Exhibit B



This is my washing machine. I'm not someone who effuses wildly over my washing machine, but it's true that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. There is nothing like being able to put clothes that need to be washed into the washing machine - not having to go to a laundry mat.

Thankfully, the washing machine is back in business, and if any of my family members walk to the washing machine and back - we no longer track dust throughout my house. And that's all I can ask - for now.

Oh, and hopefully we will no longer have a trickle of water through our basement when it rains.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh Aerin! I'm so sorry to hear the week has been so rough. I hope you find some relaxation this weekend!