Wednesday, November 26, 2008

the little things

So I could go into the big things I'm grateful for, kids, husband, friends, family, job, etc. but I'll spare you. I am, by the way, grateful for all those things.

I would like to go into some of the little things this week I've realized I'm incredibly thankful for.

*Being able to park my car in the garage

This was actually a more difficult project than you would think. We put together two sheds for our yard, and with the resulting space - I can now park my car in our garage. It's a tight fit, but it is SO nice not to have to scrape my car in the morning. I'm sure it's also my little part for global warming.

*Pre-made pie crust

One of my great grandmothers was famous for her pie crust (which used lard)and tasted awesome anyway. I can actually make my own pie crust.

I am so glad I don't have to. Last night, I made pumpkin pie with noggin (my son) and goose (my daughter). It is so easy to just roll out that store bought crust, which still tastes good.

*Gas prices have gone down

Our budget certainly can use the lowered gas prices at the moment. We are now saving anywhere from $25 to $30 each time we fill up the tank. Believe it or not, that adds up. I hope there will still be the political will to fund public transportation. Even with lower gas prices, I hope people will remember how hard those $4.25 a gallon prices were to their budgets. It hurt many of us. Some of us are still reeling and many are in need this season.

Let's learn from history and not repeat it. We went through this in the 1980s. Everyone was gung-ho on alternative fuels in the late 70s. Then gas prices dropped in the mid-80s and the political will evaporated. We need a long term solution.

*The internet

I know it sounds crazy, but I would never have thought fifteen years ago that I could publish all sorts of stuff on the internet and people would actually read what I had to say. I never thought that I could find a community of various people (including former and current mormons) and such a diversity of thought and opinions.

The interwebs are pretty cool. Even social networking sites are pretty cool - it's nice to see photos of friends I'd lost touch with, keep up with what they're up to on a day to day basis.

1 comment:

Freckle Face Girl said...

Those are all on my list too!!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!