Friday, August 8, 2008

The Social Dynamics of Greeting Cards

I was buying a wedding congratulations card for my husband's cousin (we will be attending her wedding later this month). This should not be surprising to my readers as sometimes I feel like I single handedly keep the greeting card industry afloat. I know I don't have to send cards (or could easily send e-cards), I just like picking out and sending something.

I was impressed to see, here in this conservative midwestern state, a small but vibrant section of same s_ex wedding congratulations cards. They were about 5% of the total cards in the wedding section.

I realize that greeting cards are not on the cutting edge of cultural acceptance, but I take this as a positive sign. Many midwestern states have voted in gay marriage bans or amendments, not many years ago.

So it's interesting to me, although a majority of voters voted in these types of amendments, clearly there is a a market (even in my corner pharmacy) for gay marriage congratulations cards.

I think it's a great sign. I don't think it would have been possible fifteen or twenty years ago. Our society is changing and becoming more accepting - even in this conservative midwestern state.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really encouraging - thanks for sharing.

Freckle Face Girl said...

It is great that people are becoming more open-minded and accepting of others.

C. L. Hanson said...

Cool! :D