Monday, March 19, 2007

Proud moments with kids

Someone recently asked me if it was thrilling when the babies first said "mama" to me.

It's cool - but I have to say, it was much more thrilling when they started doing things on their own. Climbing on everything. Making and using tools. The other day our son, noggin, picked up the letter Y and handed it to a friend of ours saying "Y".

Or when our daughter, goose, talks for an hour after being put to bed. Or just shrieks in delight almost anywhere - at the mall, at a restaurant. She has been known to hand me her shoes and say "shoe".

Or this evening, when my son somehow got my purse from off of the table, picked out the credit card (of my 20 or so cards, the only one that will actually work) and took it to his dad and said "bo bo". Whether or not bo bo referred to his bear (also know as bo bo), a ball or bubbles, it's hard to say. Or both babies, who will hold phones up to their ears and now can say hi and bye. It's pretty impressive.

Personally, I think they're brilliant, but I'm just a proud mom. It's exciting watching them discover the world around them, what they can and can't do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I have yet to receive a phone call from either noggin or goose, and I have to say, I'm hurt ;)

Aerin said...

They've actually been known to find the cell phones and press buttons. If your name started with an "A" North node - you might have received a call already.

My brother in law, whose name does start with an "A" received a ten minute message with Dora in the background and lots of babbling. You just never know.

C. L. Hanson said...

That's so sweet!!!

My kids haven't learned to use the cell phone yet, but they're experts on using the mouse and keyboard to navigate through menus in order to draw pictures in their graphics program or view all of the bonus material on a DVD. It's funny because Leo's not even four years old yet, but the user interface is intuitive enough that kids pick up on it naturally.

I was saying to my husband the other day that when they learn that we didn't have computers as kids, it will be weird for them to imagine such a thing.

Anonymous said...

Ah, kids are cute! I am loving the 'noggin' and 'goose' nicknames.

But I gotta say, it's hard for ME to remember what we did before computers. Kids will think it's just unthinkable. And really, how did we find out any information at all before the Internet??

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing to see the brain unfold?

Aerin said...

chanson - they love the noggin.com website. My son had the nickname of noggin long before we discovered the tv channel. There are also little computers at the library - enclosed in plastic. They play with the keyboards.

Personally, I know it will be hard to explain the system of pine (email I used my first years in college) - just as it's hard for me to understand loading a computer program through punch cards.

WC - I think people spent more time at libraries. They also couldn't find a lot of information quickly.

hellmut - yes, it's astounding. It's amazing to me how different my twins are. Same parents, same living arrangements, but completely different temperment. I think there are a great many factors in personality development - and not all of them nuture.

Lemon Blossom said...

I know what you mean. My youngest said "more" to me yesterday and I was jumping up and down and clapping. I also got a call from a family friend stating that they received a call from this little guy. Yikes! At least he didn't dial 911 or China.