Monday, December 20, 2010

Unconditional Friendship

This isn't the season for gratitude, that was so last month.  But I would be remiss if I didn't mention the good friends in my life.  I am constantly amazed at how wise and supportive they are. 

If you don't have good friends who are supportive of you, no matter what decisions you make - my sympathy to you.  I hope you can find them.  Those friends are priceless (to my mind). 

It's easy to decide that you know what's best for another person, for their life or relationship. 

It's much more difficult to show unconditional caring for another person, to listen to them.   To let them know that you will support them no matter what*.  To realize that ultimately, the only person living your life is you, and people can only control themselves, not another's actions.

My thoughts for this holiday season - my gratitude for such amazing support. 

*Of course, there are instances where unconditional support doesn't make sense, particularly enabling a friend in unhealthy things - abusing heroin or something.  Just wanted to make that distinction as I think that's pretty important.

1 comment:

Freckle Face Girl said...

Unconditional relationships really are the most wonderful part of life!