Monday, September 13, 2010

Putting Up with Anything

I've talked about a bad work experience I had here.  I started thinking about my crazy boss as I was reading about Stella's work experience on her blog here.

Believe it or not, it can be difficult in a job situation to know what is normal or acceptable.  It's not really something you learn in school - where those boundaries are.  What you will or will not put up with in a work environment. 

Looking back, I was only at that job (with the con artist boss) for a month.  I was a temp.  Why did I stay so long in a crazy environment?  It's what I was thinking of reading Stella's blog.

I'm glad I woke up and left.  (I tried to train my replacement. For  whatever reason, my boss didn't think she would work out - perhaps she was less of a mark than I was?)  But there were some clear signs that things were not normal, and were not where they needed to be.  My boss screaming at people on the phone was probably a good sign.  One or two people, maybe.  But anyone who said no, anyone who said they had to follow procedure, they had to check references.  He would start screaming and ask to speak to their supervisor.

The customer is not always right.

I realized the other day that I've changed.  I used to be proud of the fact I could put up with anything.  It was a badge of honor of sorts. 

I'm not sure when that changed, but it has.  It's not that I couldn't get into that situation again.  I could.  I have an affinity for insane work environments.  But I'm older.  I won't put up with anything anymore.  I don't have to.  There are things I won't put up with-life is too short. 

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

It is definitely hard to figure out psychosis and dysfunction in work situations. As you know, I've had some recent experience with this. Part of it, I think, is that our whole corporate culture is so dysfunctional. That is to say, dysfunction and psychosis are often rewarded in that system. And if you're right out of school, you're a great target for a dysfunctional system because you have no idea what's normal, or what's healthy, or what you need in a workplace. There should be a class in this.

C. L. Hanson said...

So true. It's something you learn from experience.

Freckle Face Girl said...

You are completely right! I think evil companies go out of their way to hire young people because they'll deal with it longer.

The one I worked for paid more than other companies, had 3 weeks of vacation to start with, and lots of cool people in their 20s... I made some great friends there, but still have nightmares about it 8 years later.

Aerin said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.