Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Year's Resolutions - update

So as I've mentioned before, I'm not really someone who sets new years' resolutions.  It has never really spoken to me.

This year, however, we set a new year's resolution as a family.  The resolution?  Sit on one's chair at the dinner table, do not stand up and dance around instead of eating. 

My husband and I have done very well at this particular resolution.  Granted, I'm not sure it was a habit we had prior to this year either.

For some reason, however, framing it to our kids in terms of a "resolution" has added weight to the request (and added authority to it).  Now, not only is sitting at the dinner table a request, but it's also a "resolution" that we are working towards as a family. 

Believe it or not, we really tend to be a pretty laid back family - at least I tend to think so. We don't have a lot of rules that need to be followed.  But there are a few rules that do exist, and they do have reasons behind them.

As a parent, I get the task of attempting to socialize my children. Because, really, it's just not acceptable in most restaurants for adults to jump on top of their chairs (not to mention dangerous) and start dancing or jumping. 

At some point in life, we have to come face to face with reality; with social manners and with keeping ourselves safe.  And honestly, I am not familiar with many different cultures - but all the cultures I've come in contact with have this as a rule.

So it's not as if what we're asking for is unreasonable.  Some days the urge to dance spontaneously is simply too difficult to fight - no matter what the resolution may be.

1 comment:

C. L. Hanson said...

I totally relate. Meal time behavior is definitely one of the challenges at our house. We've almost succeeded in civilizing them, though. ;^)