Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Three songs



I heard this song the other day. And it took me back - because back when I was a waitress, at a country western steakhouse, they had Bob Marley on the jukebox. Sure, they might have had a hundred country cd's, but they had Bob Marley's greatest hits. One of my fellow waiters loved Bob Marley - so the cd was in heavy rotation. And yes, it did seem odd to be listening to Bob Marley in a country/western place, but the customers never mentioned it.

This was, of course, back in the day when people still had cd players and listened to cd's...

Another friend was talking about The Dave Matthews band the other day. This too, was an album that was on heavy rotation when I was a waitress - at a different restaurant. But with a similar theme - it was the person in charge of the music's favorite album at the time. Or multiple people. So it was played - a lot.

Last but not least was Yanni Live at the Acropolis. This, too was on heavy rotation at the Greek/Mediterranean restaurant where I worked. I loved the food there, still love the food there. Of the three, this was the album that most got on my nerves. One can only take so much of Yanni.

To this day, I hear songs from all three albums and think of those respective places. It must be some sort of site-specific learning or memory.

No comments: