Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pumpkin pancakes

One of the books I read while I was pregnant had lots of great recipes for moms of multiples.

My favorite recipe was for pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin has a tremendous amount of iron, and walnuts have protein, iron and are just generally good for you.



I usually double this recipe and it makes enough for the four of us. I use the pumpkin without the pumpkin pie spices added in. Don't add the cinnamon, nutmeg or cloves if you use canned pumpkin with the spices included already.

1 egg
1/2 cup regular flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar (applesauce works okay as well)
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 can of pumpkin (probably around 3/4 of a cup)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (to taste, I usually just sprinkle some in)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (see above)
1/4 tsp. cloves (see above
chopped walnuts (I add a couple of Tablespoons - it's up to you)

Beat all the ingredients together.

Do not allow three year olds to try the batter because of raw eggs. They can stir the mixture though.

The griddle or frying pan should be on medium or medium low. These burn fairly easily. Pour around 1/4 cup onto griddle. Flip when bubbles bubble up to the top of the pancake. I haven't tried this with Bisquick - I'm sure it would work okay if you mixed the batter thoroughly. This works with just about any pancake recipe, just add the pumpkin, spices and walnuts.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooooooooooooo, those sound yummy.

SillyNut

Freckle Face Girl said...

I LOVE pumpkin everything! Thanks!