Thursday, August 28, 2008

Count your Blessings

I have quite a lot to be grateful for.

I'm not talking about the teary "I'm grateful my cat was run over by a car so I could remember my faith".

I'm talking about being grateful for the good things in my life. I was talking with my husband about this last weekend. It's just easy to focus on things that aren't going how I planned or expected. To dwell on the disappointments or hypocrisy of others in my life.

- We're not living with my in laws

I am completely serious. I love my in laws, particularly my mother in law. They are great, supportive people. They even have a fairly large home. I am so glad we do not have to live with them. Even live in a trailer on their property and come inside for coffee in the morning. We could (theoretically) move in with them if times were tough. I'm just thankful we don't have to. I know they are also grateful that we don't have to.

- We don't have other random family members or friends living with us

Another thing to be grateful for. Various family members/friends have lived with us for short periods of time, but I must say, it's better for everyone that we now live in separate houses/homes.

- We have our health

No explanation needed for this one, I'm sure.

- We have good, supportive, healthy friends

It is not easy keeping up friendships with two three year olds. It wasn't easy before the kids were born either.

I view each of those friendships as a gift.

Because friendship is hard work. Looking outside of yourself and caring about others is also hard work.

- My children are incredibly intelligent, healthy and reasonably well-behaved

Every parent wants to believe that their child is the most intelligent child ever. In our case, we know that to be absolutely true.

- We have an amazing library (free) and the internets

In Russia, I asked my host family if I could visit the library. It was closed, for the entire 4 months I was there. They told me even if I went to the library, there wasn't much there. While I disagree with some of the spending practices of our current library system, I have a lot to be grateful for.

The internets are also pretty amazing. I can communicate/keep up with people all over the U.S. and the world.

If you don't find the interwebs entertaining, you haven't been looking in the right places. How else would I find photoshopped star wars characters in various movie posters/scenes? Or cats with funny quotes (one can never get enough of the cats with funny quotes).

I could go on, but I won't. Things like a safe and secure (non war torn) country, free speech, my job/career, education, amazing food, etc. etc. Everything is not necessarily rosy, but it's not dark and dismal either.

2 comments:

Freckle Face Girl said...

Thanks - reminders of what is going right helps put life in perspective.

Aerin said...

Thanks FFG - yes - that's exactly how I feel.