Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Optimism



When I was up visiting my parents for Father's day, there were a ton of these little bugs everywhere. They're called cicadas.


They hatch once every seventeen years for about three weeks. They cover the sidewalks, trees, cars, everything. I walked with my dad to the local park, and one even flew on me. They are pretty ugly. They make a ton of noise as well - during the day it's hard to hear yourself think.

They lay their eggs around trees. So the suburbs that have older trees typically have more cicadas.



I can't take credit for this - my Dad heard it on the radio.


The cicadas must be incredibly optimistic. They are alive for one day, laying eggs, assuming that the world will still be the same seventeen years from now.

I remember the cicadas from seventeen years ago - I was a freshman about to go to high school. It's always interesting to look back and realize (cliche) that as much as things change, they also stay the same.

2 comments:

Freckle Face Girl said...

Several months ago, I remember reading a few blogs that anticipated their return this year. I didn't read anything about them since that. I guess it went off without a hitch.

I must admit that I am glad I have never experienced their appearances. June bugs are bad enough.

Anonymous said...

The cicadas came out in Knoxville, my home town, about three or four years ago. I was bizarre. Dead bugs everywhere.